Home :: Enrollment
New to Elk Grove Unified School District
Welcome to the Elk Grove Unified School District where more than 62,000 students attend 64 schools.
We are recognized nationally for having top quality teachers and staff, innovative programs, and safe, well-maintained schools. We offer an excellent academic program, up-to-date technology, civic values and ethics education at all grade levels. We have strong behavior standards and a wide variety of academic programs designed to meet every child's needs. Our programs include accelerated learning courses, advanced placement classes, college and career academies, and early intervention programs.
Our students represent California's great diversity: Our students speak more than 80 languages, 25 percent are White, 18 percent are African American, 26 percent are Latino, 23 percent are Asian, 8 percent are Pacific Islander/Filipino and 1 percent are American Indian.
If you are moving to the Elk Grove district, or have a child who will soon enter kindergarten, some important information about registering your child for school is listed below.
You may register your child for the current school year at any time. Registration can be done at your child's home school as soon as residence within the district can be verified.
Documents Needed for Registration
The following documents are required to register your child:
- Birth Certificate
- Immunization record
- Proof of residence within the district*
- For the 2014-2015 school year, all students entering 7th grade will need to provide proof that they have received an adolescent pertussis (whooping cough) booster shot (Tdap) prior to starting school.
* Residence Documents Required for Initial Enrollment for all K-12 Students:
Must produce ONE of the following for enrollment:
- Property tax receipts for the current residence
- Mortgage statements in parent/guardian name. If the home is under construction a title/deed or signed sales or purchase agreement in parent/guardian’s name will be accepted. A current PG&E, SMUD bill that indicates location of service, or a mortgage payment must be presented to the school within six months
- Rental/Lease agreement – current or recently signed in parent/guardian name. Additionally, two consecutive months of a current PG&E or SMUD bill in the parent/guardian name must be presented to the school within two months
Must also produce ONE of the following for enrollment:
- Parent/guardian’s motor vehicle registration with current residence
- Parent/guardian’s driver’s license with current residence
- Court documents indicating current residence
- Payment verification (paid invoice, credit card receipt, cashed check) for 2 consecutive months of 2 of the following utilities: gas, electricity, water, or garbage for the current residence must be presented within 2 months of enrollment
- Rent payment receipts for 2 consecutive months for the current residence must be presented within 2 months of enrollment
- Documentation from the Department of Human Assistance with current residence
Link to 2015-2016 Registration Information
School Boundary Maps
If you want to know what school your child will attend, you may use the School Locator Tool online. If you need further assistance, please call the district's Boundary Hot Line at 916-686-7755, give your new address, and ask the following questions:
- Where will my child attend school?
- Have any boundary changes been approved for this area? If so, when will they take effect and where will my child attend school after they take effect?
Staff members answering the Boundary Hot Line can also answer other questions related to school boundaries.
2015-2016 Open Enrollment
On January 20, 2015, the Elk Grove Unified School District’s Board of Education gave staff direction to open enrollment at seven middle schools and seven high schools for the 2015-2016 school year. The Open Enrollment Request Form will be available and posted on the District’s website and available at all EGUSD schools.
Open Enrollment Request Forms for students currently enrolled in the 6th and 7th grades for the 2014-2015 school year will be accepted for the following middle schools: Harriet Eddy, Edward Harris, Samuel Jackman, Joseph Kerr, Elizabeth Pinkerton, James Rutter and T.R. Smedberg.
Open Enrollment Request Forms for students currently enrolled in the 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th grades for the 2014-2015 school year will be accepted for the following high schools: Cosumnes Oaks, Elk Grove, Florin, Laguna Creek, Monterey Trail, Sheldon and Valley.
To apply for Open Enrollment, parents/guardians should complete one Open Enrollment Request Form for each student. Parents can get the form from schools, by calling the Secondary Education office at (916) 686-7706 or going online to http://www.egusd.net/news/spotlight/index.cfm.
Click here to learn more.
Link to EGUSD Forms
Link to Transportation Information